Sunday, September 25, 2011

Conclusions to the Inquiry Process

 
     At the beginning of this class, I did not know what action research was.  This course has taught me in depth about the process of inquiry.  I have learned about this process through readings, discussions, and bloggs.  I plan to show what I have learned through not only my action research project, but also throughout my job. 
     There are several items about the process of inquiry that stand out as important, but reflection and self-assessment are two items at the top of my list.  By reflecting on my assignments, I am able to recall that Action research is the process of self-assessment that a principal or administrator uses to better himself or herself and his or her school.  It is very effective because it allows the leader to designate a time to reflect on the decisions that have been made while leading.  This gives the administrator the ability to evaluate whether the decisions made are benefiting the school and the work environment, or if another direction is necessary.  Dana defines administrative inquiry as, “the process of a principal engaging in systematic, intentional study of his/her own administrative practice and taking action for change based on what he/she learns as a result of inquiry.” (2)  When a principal is engaging in action research, he or she is posing questions, analyzing data, and reading relevant literature. In addition, the principal is making changes when and where it is necessary and sharing that information with peers. (Dana 2-3)
     My action research topic deals with parental involvement.  I have had several meetings with both the junior high and high school principals at my school, and they both agree that we need more parent involvement.  I am hoping that my inquiry will allow us to find ways to gain parental involvement from parents of at-risk students in order to improve academic and behavioral success.  I have shared that our school is working hard to improve this situation, and I believe that the development of my action research plan will provide some answers to allow us to achieve this goal. 
     Two strategies that I plan on using during my action research are the Force Field Analysis and the Delphi Method that is discussed in the Harris text.  I am excited about the results that the Delphi Method might provide because it will allow me to survey teachers in a safe environment.  Because this method provides a level of confidentiality, the parents can be share openly about reasons they don’t get involved in the education of their children.  (Harris, 95)
     The discussion board and blogging have also provided a great opportunity to learn.  I have enjoyed getting to know my peers and their thoughts about my inquiry.  This experience has changed my perception about the use of networking and peer reflection.  I am certainly less apprehensive about sharing, and I actually look forward to the constructive advice and communication of my colleagues.
  Reflecting on the knowledge that I have gained from this course has allowed me to organize my thoughts and formulate a plan to efficiently carry out my inquiry on parental involvement.  I feel much more comfortable about my inquiry and look forward to using this process in all areas of my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment