Saturday, August 27, 2011

 What I’ve Learned About Action Research:
Action Research is the process of a leader reflecting and using self-assessment of himself or herself to achieve a better job performance and environment in their school.  This type of inquiry is effective when a time is set to reflect on actions daily.  By designating a time to perform reflection and assessment daily, it becomes a natural part of the principal’s job rather than something that is put off or moved around because of a lack of time. 

I feel that I already use action research in my coaching duties.  I reflect on every practice and every game, questioning decisions that I made and looking at the outcome.  I then use this time of reflecting to plan out my next practice or even to help make better decisions during the next game.

I am exciting about using this concept as a principal.  I think that it will be very beneficial in helping me to become a better principal because I will be in constant evaluation of my job.  This will allow me to make decisions that would prevent problems rather than being reactive and trying to solve problems only after they have occurred.

 For action research to be effective, it should be shared among peers.  This will allow me to build a network where I can have discussions with leaders who have experienced some of the same problems that I might be facing.

How Can Blogging Help Leaders:
Educational Leaders can use blogs to share their thoughts and experiences with their peers.  It is also beneficial because it allows people to have a written record of their experiences.  Reading back through those experiences can help in dealing with similar problems and can serve as the reflection part of action research.  

No comments:

Post a Comment